Edible cannabis seeds are derived from industrial cannabis, Cannabis sativa, resulting in an extremely low Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) content without having any psychotropic effect on human body.
The harvest of cannabis seeds begun the Stone Age and had been continuing by various people in ancient India, Mesopotamia, but also by the Sumerians, the Persians, the Egyptians, and the native tribes of Central America.
Cannabis seeds, which are botanically called “achenias”, are morphologically small with elliptical shape, having a thick and hard shell. In order for the seeds to become edible, they require a special peeling process while their average oil content is high enough, reaching 20-35%. Beyond the extremely nutritious hemp seed oil, the seed can also produce extra high-nutritional products such as flour and hemp protein.
According to recent scientific studies, hemp seeds and their derivatives are included in the list of “superfoods”, the healthiest foods that nature provides, as they help significantly in strengthening the human body as well as the immune system.
Analytically, cannabis seeds contain:
- High protein content up to 50%
- High levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- High antioxidant content
- High fiber content
- Quantities of all basic metals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc sulfide
The minimum daily recommended dosage of hemp seeds is 42 grams or about 4 full tablespoons. Speaking of flavour, hemp seeds taste like sunflower or pine seeds, while they can be eaten alone, raw and uncooked, as an accompaniment to salads, cereals or yogurt, as well as in a variety of cooking recipes. An excellent choice would also be the use of hemp seed oil as an accompaniment to food and salads.
Consumption of peeled hemp seeds enriches the human body with plenty of nutrients, supporting significantly its smooth functioning and action.
According to their nutritional value, hemp seeds and their derived products can work for:
- Immune enhancement and anxiety reduction
- Lowers blood pressure
- Heart disease prevention and good cardiac function
- Prevention of prostate and colon cancer
- Weight loss through the simultaneous reduction of appetite and increase of body energy
- Provides a balanced diet for vegetarians, vegans and people with a nut allergy as a protein supplement or even as an exclusive source of protein
- Regulates cholesterol and triglyceride levels and reducing the risk of developing diabetes
- Benefits function of the digestive system
- Rapid healing of injuries and recovery of diseases
- Stimulates mood and good psychology